Tourists View Old Order Amish Colony Outside Houston, Texas
Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania are not the only states with Amish settlements. A 20 minute drive from the city of Houston, Texas, an old order Amish colony flourishes. The colony is unknown to many visitors. The settlement values privacy, therefore, no billboards are posted along the highway and there are no television advertisements concerning the settlement. This order chooses to live without the luxury of electricity and automobiles. The Texas Amish believe in a simple life and self-sufficiency.
3 Places to Shop for Amish Products Near Houston:
- Amish Barn: Fine handcrafted furniture by Amish artisans from hardwoods is for sale at the Amish Barn, 30 minutes north of Houston. Country, Mission, Shaker and traditional furniture styles are available. Amish carpenters accept special orders for stain color and hardware. Jams, jellies, honeybutter and sauces are also sold at the Amish Barn.
- The Amish Craftsman: Located on Washington Avenue in Houston, Texas, the store offers handcrafted furniture built to order by local Amish workmen. The customer selects the wood, design and color of the stain. Beds, desks, chairs, sofas, dinettes and more are available for purchase at the showroom.
- Cottage Craftworks: Cottage Craftworks is located in Brookshire, Texas, approximately 30 minutes from Houston. Proprietors, Paul and Liz Stevens, describe the CraftWorks as a general store from a bygone era. The store is not located in a traditional building, but rather is a virtual store, where customers may shop from the comfort of home. The couple offer quality Amish products for sale. The stock includes buggies, windmill supplies, Amish country foods, kitchen supplies, hunting gear, custom oil paintings and more.
3 Places to Stay While Visiting Houston's Amish Country:
- Hotel ZaZa: Hotel ZaZa is a phenomenal boutique-style hotel located in Houston’s museum district. The Magnificent Seven Suites are seven separate opulent hotel suites each decorated with unique refined themes. The Concept Suites sweep guests off to myriad of splendid locations with theme settings from the West Indies to Soho. The Hotel is a marvelous venue for a destination wedding. Guests are sure to be pampered in luxury after a day of shopping and sightseeing.
- La Maison in Midtown: La Maison in Midtown is an urban bed and breakfast oasis in the heart of the city. The inn is within walking distance of many fine restaurants. Enjoy the luxuries that life can afford, after a day of contemplating the simpler Amish lifestyle. Each guest suite is complete with a private veranda. Breakfast is served in a French kitchen each morning.
- Uphouse Manor Bed and Breakfast: Four miles from downtown Houston, the inn is convenient to walking paths, shopping, restaurants and transit lines. The London Fog Room has a claw foot bathtub for soaking away tension. The bed is queen size and the room offers a spacious closet. The Blue Room features a king size bed with luxurious linens and a down mattress. Other rooms are suitably adorned. Breakfast service options are requested one night prior.
*Photo courtesy of Amish Buggy Ride by Anita Ritenour at Flickr’s Creative Commons.
About NT3RNT RITR
A traveler at heart, the writer enjoys traveling all over the south and hopes to one day expand his destinations.